I mentioned that my son and I have been playing each Sunday. That's been a lot of fun, and it has also revealed a lot about the game.
One thing I discovered is that there is way too much drawing from and searching of the deck. One can play on and on, while the opponents are sitting scratching their noses. There are a few options to stop this, of course, like the quote it challenge, but that can be a bit tricky to time, and you have to have verses available to sacrifice.
Another issue was poorly worded verse rules and effects, as well as power adjustments that needed to be implemented in some individual verses.
Finally, I wanted to start implementing some of my previous ideas, like the pearls. I think the location verses will have to wait for another set, but I also wanted some extra-powerful cards that could make up the "rares" of the game.
So, over the last few days, I've been setting up the spreadsheets so that I can flow the verse data into card format, then I adjusted some of the existing verses. Finally, Brendon and I sat down and started discussing and working out some of the power cards. That was a lot of fun. Here we are, reading the verses, discussing the meanings, and interpreting the meanings in game terms. It was like scripture study, but it was fun, not drudgery. In the context of the game, it was a whole new experience!
Of course, now, we need to rewrite the rules to accommodate the new cards and some of the new things we've been trying out. This is version 9.0 of the beta rules! We just keep on tweakin'!
Mark has a lifelong testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the Mormon Church). Mark also has other sites and blogs, including MarkHansenMusic.com and his Dutch Oven blog.