Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sunday Scripture: D&C 14:7

#75 Endure to the End: D&C 14:7 “And, if you keep my commandments and endure to the end you shall have eternal life.”

Stats: S3, W1, F1, H0, T2; Theme: S, Effect: If this verse is in play when you have only one blessing remaining, draw that blessing.

My mom used to make jokes about this verse all the time.  My dad was in the stake presidency in various central and then southern Indiana stakes for about as long as we can remember, and we had to drive hours for stake conferences each way, each year, and then hang around for endless ordinations, settings apart, and meetings afterward before another hour or two drive home.  She used to refer to it as "enduring on our ends..."

But when I saw this verse, I wanted an effect that would reward a player for taking it all the way to the end of the game.  So, if there's only one blessing verse left, you get to pull it!

I have to admit, sometimes I think we Mormons take this verse a bit too literally.  I think all too often we take the attitude that life is something to be endured.  I don't think that's what the Lord meant here.  I mean, this is the same Lord that said, "My yoke is easy and my burden is light."

I just think that he didn't want us to give up, or stop.  All the way to the end, amigo!

No comments:

Post a Comment