Tuesday, August 27, 2013

LDS Card Game Verse of the Week (Month?) Isaiah 29:13

Talk, Talk, Talk  "Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, but have removed their heart far from me…"  DISCARD: Mastery, Sacrifice Cost: 1, Markers: Trials, Themes: Trials, Life

This verse is a Scripture Mastery verse, one that’s in the new list, so it’s one that most LDS seminary students should know.  It’s a fun one, whose sentiment is expressed in a similar phrase in several different places in the scriptures, like in the first vision, in Joseph Smith History 1:19.  It’s usually used to refer to the Great Apostacy, where churches and religious leaders seek power and are not humble followers of Christ.

I like to think of this verse in a more personal way, and to think of my own religious observance.  I mean, how often do I sit in sacrament meeting and my mind and heart are focused elsewhere?  How often do I go about my daily life oblivious to the struggles of my neighbor?

Just the other day, my own neighbor came over and helped me to fix my car.  I thought how often I miss that kind of stuff going on.  But, on my blogs and in church, I’m eager to proclaim the gospel, right?

So, I hope this card captures that.  I called it “Talk, Talk, Talk”, but I could have just as easily called it “Bla, bla, bla”.  The effect is a discard effect, to be able to require an opponent to quote a verse he or she has just played.  It’s a way of saying, “Are you sure you know what’s on that card?  Or are you just full of talk...”

The best way to play this one is to hold onto it until your opponent is about to play a verse that’s important, like one that will close off a book.  After he/she plays it, drop this one down and make them quote what he/she just played, or it goes away!  If the quote fails, on your next turn, you might be able to drop in the final verse, and close up that book yourself!  It’s a great way to practice your scripture mastery!



share

Mark has a lifelong testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the Mormon Church). Mark also has other sites and blogs, including MarkHansenMusic.com and his Dutch Oven blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment